You are a Princess when your Father is King of Kings!! :)

"May today there be peace within you. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and in others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us." -Author unknown

Friday, July 26, 2013

Luke Chapter 2

LUKE CHAPTER 2

Chapter two begins with the story on The Birth of Jesus.  Familiar or not, I still found new little nuggets of gold through out this story.  Through out the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John all tell their perspective on events going on at the time.  A reading from the Book of Luke at Christmas time is a favorite in many households...including my own.  We still read the story right from Kaylee's preschool Bible because A) her attention span is about 3 seconds and B) she loves the pictures.  If you have children and don't already have a children's bible for them, I highly recommend picking one up.  Scripture tells us "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." (Prov. 22:6)  This is one easy way to encourage your children and teach them at a level that is relevant.  In Luke Chapter 2 vs. 10 I love when the angel told the shepherds "Do not be afraid."  I mean, can you imagine if an angel appeared to you whether it be broad day-light or under the moon-lit sky?  I think I would be a bit freaked out as well!  Comforting to know God cares about our human fears!  Whew!  I checked the study notes for this verse just out of curiosity and it said "Fear was the common reaction to angelic appearances and encouragement was needed."  (Zondervan study Bible, 1985, 1995, 2002.)




Next, I found it interesting that God can and will use multiple ways to not only speak to us, but also to confirm it is a message from Him.  I don't know about you, but I am notorious for second guessing and playing devil's advocate with myself.  First he told Mary that Jesus was the savior in chapter 1, then he confirmed this message separately with Joseph through the angel.  As if that wasn't enough, he also sent the angel to the shepherds in chapter 2 confirming this same message (vs 9-12).  If you fast forward to vs. 29- he also confirmed one more time through Simeon.  Simeon was known as a righteous and devout man, Simeon took the baby in his arms and praised God saying: "Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace."  The key to that verse is "as you have promised."  Confirmation.  Talk about lightning bolts- he (God) wanted it to be VERY clear that this was not a made up story, this was the real-deal!

In verse 40 we learn that Jesus grew and became stronger- gaining wisdom along the way as well.  This was very profound to me.  Jesus was sent down to walk this earth, in the form of a perfect man, so that we could learn from Him.  However, he still became strong.  He still grew.  To me- that just makes Him even more relate-able.  We also have to work on being strong, it doesn't just naturally happen. 

In the next section The Boy Jesus at the Temple- I found it very interesting and comforting that Mary had raw and real feelings just like any other mother would.  We are told of that the family traveled to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover when Jesus was only 12 years old.  After the feast was over, the family started to return home, but unbeknown to Mary & Joseph- Jesus stayed back.  We have to remember that biblical times are pre-automotive.  So to return home from Jerusalem by foot was no easy task.  By this point we also know that Mary & Joseph had a family so needless to say they had a lot going on.  I just returned from a trip up north with my family and that was stressful enough even having a full size SUV to pack up with baby stuff, toddler stuff, suitcases, coolers etc.  I can tell you right now if Phil told me we were headed to a town far away by foot and maybe a camel or two- I would not be having it!  I have also learned in the past that it was common in this day to travel in large heards- with the entire community or extended family.  So kind of like a big family vacation- you may just trust that gramma or auntie is watching over your babies.  I still scratch my head a bit that it took them an entire day to realize he was not with them- but then again, who am I.  After three days of searching for him, they finally found him.  Clearly Mary & Joseph were anxious over the situation.  Jesus' response was "Didn't you know that I had to be in my Father's house?" (vs. 49)  Luke's notation that Mary & Joseph did not understand what Jesus was saying to them reflects the idea that they just still did not fully comprehend who he was- The Messiah.  In vs. 51 Luke referenced that Mary treasured all these things in her heart.  This hit me again, being a woman I know what it is like to be emotional...especially as a mother.  Luke is not telling us that Joseph kept these things in his heart.  Just sayin.  

Can't wait to dig into chapter 3 with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment